Friday, July 29, 2011

Townsville Cup 2011

Race photos only just arrived! So I can finally blog about the Townsville Cup. My first time putting in such a large degree of thought. My conceptual design was clear but needed work, from the detail on the gloves, type of gold through the suit and tones in the fascinator. I wanted a traditional foundation and contemporary feel with innovative details. I’ve been thinking about this outfit for so long I can't believe it actually exists now!

To start with, my sketch (please forgive my bad art work) was way more basic to begin with. The more research I did, additional details were added like sleeves, buttons, vintage brooch and gloves.



So I asked Robyn Wynter (dress maker) and Jaclyn McDonald of Show Poni Millinery to turn my drawing into race wear reality. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome; it’s exactly what I had envisaged. I can’t thank those guys enough for their fantastic work (also putting up with my demands)

Grant Perigo Photography http://grantperigo.com/

Grant Perigo Photography http://grantperigo.com/

Grant Perigo Photography http://grantperigo.com/


Hand made bag and 1980's vintage brooch
 
The day its self was a blur, the fashion’s tent was pumping out the fashionistas like a methodical sweat shop on a conveyer (over 200 strong I hear). The NERVES- I tell you were miserable and with anxiety plus! This was fashion at its most extreme and cutting that number to a severe 5 finalists was shocking to say the least. But what else could two judges accomplish under those circumstances- there was so much colour and amazing vibrancy it burned the retinas. Talk about over whelming! It would have been nice to see interaction with maybe 20 finalists. Questions I would have asked such as, what was your inspiration? did you make the outfit? Who designed the outfit? Or which boutique dressed you? Was there a theme? I think a lot goes on behind the scenes which make an outfit more special. Having a rapport with your design is important and I think it should be shared and rewarded. These are things I would like to know and I’m sure you do too. With the Townsville Cup you couldn’t possibly do this under the time restrictions which is a shame.

Honestly, I have never seen so many fabulous designs. Townsville has lifted its standard above and beyond. But Emma can pick a winner though. Good friend Melissa Prince who is an avid Petticoat Lane seller wore a stunning classic outfit from Vintage Rose. As soon as I saw her I said “You’ve got this”. It was beautifully traditional of course. This girl can dress! Once the stress of judging was over I had a chance to snap a few favourites out on the field.

The lovely Melissa Prince Townsville Classic Race Wear Winner 2011

The absolutely gorgeous Roanne Johnson Townsville Cup Contemporary Winner 2011

Below are a few creative outfits I quickly snapped along the way, please vote for your favourite and go in the draw to win $100 Petticoat Lane voucher. Write your full name, the name of best design in the comments link below and WIN!

Black Beauty

Jewel Glam

Strawberry Sweetness

Lady Leopard
Felt Flower

Mocha Magic

Cute As A Button

Pretty Bellerina

24 comments:

  1. Hi Girls please place the name of your favourite outfit and your full name (be sure to be a Petticoat Lane Facebook friend for winner to be contacted) GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry Sweetness! love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline Drain liked Jewel Glam best - the back of the skirt was really cute too....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jewel Glam very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for Jewel Glam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote Pretty Ballerina

    ReplyDelete
  7. love Felt Flower gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Felt Flower is very classy and very appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stawberry Sweetness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lady Leopard is fun! really love that one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa Jane TodeschinoJuly 31, 2011 at 11:29 AM

    I recognise 'Jewel Glam' as a Burdekin girl and she's pulled together a beautiful outfit with amazing colours, so she's my pick.
    Special mention - As an animal-print lover, 'Lady Leopard' caught my eye as a funky little number. Now that I've seen how great the flesh fish-nets look on 'Pretty Ballerina' I'll give my pair a go one day.
    And Emma you looked AMAZING! Love the fanned feathers in the headpiece and details on the stockings, gloves, shoes and handbag!! Beautiful!
    I totally agree with the question part of judging too. I compered the Melb cup races in Home Hill a few years ago and we chose girls to discuss their outfits. I think it's worth hearing if a girl designed her own dress, made her own jewellery,is wearing her Grandmother's brooch or plucked the feathers for her headpiece from a dead pheasant off the side of the road. Yep, I know someone who did this and the result was incredible! ...Please forgive my lengthy comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa
    thanks so much for your great comment! great to hear feedback:) yes I really do think its important to get a background story about an outfit. Not only gives the judges a better idea but also gives the person wearing it validation for their work. I know how much energy was put into some of these designs (like some of your interesting encounters) I really think it should be shared even if they don’t place. Just like an art piece, what’s the point if it can’t be critiqued and discussed in a public forum? Because in the end this is what it’s all about:) Emma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emma,

    Pretty Ballerina!

    Cheers

    Shelley Colvin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked "black Beauty". Classic and stylish.

    Amanda Lanham

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Mocha Magic is absolutely stunning! A beautiful color and conservative style with great accessories. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Emma, Thanks for adding me to your Facebook. I absolutely adore your outfit, you look incredible and I will definately be popping into the shop to see what gorgeous things you have in store! Have to say though that the 'Mocha Magic' outfit is gorgeous!

    Cheers,
    Anna Williams

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jewel Glam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Strawberry Sweetness!!!

    ReplyDelete