Friday, June 17, 2011

Fashion Genes

New South Wales, Hay 1938  my grand parents Sheila and Geoffrey Read
Where does your style come from? Nature verses Nurture? For me, I never really knew where my style came from as I had little contact with common influences like grandparents and I was raised largely by my father on an isolated cattle station- so fashion wasn’t really a topic of conversation and I didn’t see glossy magazines except for National Geographic. All I had was my imagination. I don’t think you need to have a fashion designer parent or some iconic style maven to have fashion sense. Style/fashion is subjective, like art its channelling a kind of belief you have, your opinion, what makes you comfortable and what inspires your individuality. So looking at these photos makes me smile and think “Grandma had a real adventurer Indiana Jones-esque style”  its moments in time within these photos where fashion was their interpretation . Some people have an eye for design maybe it’s in my genes- this is why I could be interested in vintage and desire to create but some need glossy magazines to spoon feed their style. Whatever it is it’s a personal resolution. These decades were simple and classic because style isn’t just about what you wear it’s how you live and feel.
Sheila Read 1920

Walking the streets of Sydney

Sheila with her best friend Glady 1978

Sheila was an event organiser for Hay's Show Society and an devoted dog breeder

London 1966, Petticoat Lane markets (it was meant to be!)


2 comments:

  1. oh my mother was my biggest style influence for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these pictures, thanks for taking us back to a bygone era! Great article, thanks for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete