Thursday, April 14, 2011

Columbian Craft

I was at the Heritage on Flinders street and spotted this outrageous piece of fashion. More like art than a belt this daring rodeo inspired accessory is by bull rider Luis Estuardo Chavarria Guerra from Guatemala (I can spell it not say it). While visiting Australia he would create these belts using old bull riding ropes either selling or passing on as gifts. Eco friendly cowboy craftsmanship....that’s pretty innovative.  
Townsville has such a strong outback history which is close to my heart. Times have changed since then, I remember going out on the town and jeans were the dressiest fashion observed. Heels were only added to class it up and a dress was only worn for a gala event. This look is still utilized now, don’t get me wrong I LIVE in my $10 no names from Vinnies but boy, haven’t we come a long way! 
You can see the Central American influences here. Guatemala has produced many indigenous artists who follow centuries-old Pre-Columbian traditions. Well known for combining traditional “primitivism” or “naive” art movements with European and North American traditions.  I think it matches the life style of Far North Queensland perfectly. The colours and textures, I love the safety pin thrown in for that cheeky Swiss Army feel. Even the luscious pop of colour on the nails really makes this outfit rock.
When choosing the right belt make sure it’s a defining moment because your waist deserves the attention!

1 comment:

  1. Townsville has definitely stepped it up! but we will never lose that country heritage...great photo!

    ReplyDelete